When it comes to love, there are plenty of things to fear: commitment, rejection, not purchasing the perfect Valentine’s gift. For centuries, love and fear have been increasingly intermingled when it comes to literature and pop culture, as the public has become more and more enamored by stories of ghosts, vampires, zombies and other undead creatures. On this episode of UNT Pod, UNT Associate Professor of English Stephanie Hawkins discusses how that fascination has manifested — and some of the best works of literature for those looking for a good scare.
In this episode, we discuss:
● The public’s fascination with ghost stories
● Hawkins’ class “Undead: Ghosts, Vampires and Zombies in American Literature”
● The origins of ghost stories
● The best ghost stories to read
Featured in this episode is:
● Dr. Stephanie Hawkins, associate professor in UNT’s Department of English
● Learn more about Beloved
● Learn more about the most famous American horror storiesFollow our Podcast
● @UNTPodJoin the Conversation
● Connect with us on Twitter @UNTSocial or on Instagram @UNT
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase