Was Jesus on board with the violence in the Old Testament? Mark responds to Vicq's question as a unitarian Christian.
Seeing the face value (apparent) meaning of Scripture should be encouraged. It can be refined patiently with increased understanding. Teachers?
- James 3:1 - Teachers are held to higher standard.
- Genesis 6:9ff - The great flood that wiped out millions
- Genesis 18:20-19:29 - Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed, and Lot's wife turned to pillar of salt.
- Luke 22:42; John 4:34, 5:30, 6:38 - Jesus has own will.
- Genesis 41:38-40 - Pharaoh gave all authority over his house and over Egypt to Joseph.
- Luke 22:42 - Jesus has second thoughts about the cross.
- John 15:13 - Greater love has no man than to lay down his life for his friends, which Jesus demonstrated.
- Acts 2:22 - Signs and wonders which God did through him.
- Matthew 28:18 - All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
- Hebrews 1:4 - Jesus has become more superior to the angels.
- 1 Timothy 2:5 - Jesus is the man who mediates between God and us.
- Hebrews 2:17, 4:14 - Jesus has become our great high priest in service to God.
- Hebrews 4:5 - Jesus can sympathize with us in every way. He was tempted like we were.
- Acts 2:36 - Jesus was made Lord and Messiah.
- Genesis 42:6 - Joseph’s brothers worshiped him.
- Genesis 43:30 - Joseph expresses great love and compassion for his family.
- Daniel 7:14 - Dominion is given to the son of man, and all nations serve him.
- Jonah 3:6-10 - The people of Nineveh repent, and God gave them mercy.
- Genesis 18:22 - Abraham pleaded with God to spare Sodom for the sake of a small number of righteous, and God agrees.
- Exodus 20:18-21 - The people of Israel were afraid of the voice of God.
- Exodus 13:21-22 - The Pilar of fire led the Israelites by night.
- Numbers 16:31-35 - The ground opened up and swallowed the people who belonged to Korah.
- Genesis 3:15 - Seed of eve is promised to crush the head of the serpent.
- Deuteronomy 18:15 - God promised a prophet like Moses would come one day.
- Jeremiah 30:21, Genesis 49:10 - Jesus was of one of the people of Israel, of their people. We are his kin.
- Philippians 2:9-11 - We bow to Jesus to the glory of God the Father.
- 1 Corinthians 15:24-28 - Jesus reigns over the kingdom until all enemies are put down, then hands the kingdom back over to the one who gave it to him in the first place.
- Psalm 8:3-9 - David’s amazement that God gave man given rule over the works of His hands.
Quements or comstions? Say your first name and your state or country.
"Meliza from Mexico. I resonated with Jason's story. Thanks!"
If your podcast app lets you remove silences, maybe don't. You will likely enjoy this better with the silences left in.
FOLLOW THE PODCAST
Podcast Webpage: https://podcast.unitarianchristianalliance.org