Guest mechanical engineer Beau Trifiro talks about his business in skateboard design, fabrication, and education. Based in San Diego, Open Source Skateboards not only builds custom skateboards, it also teaches kids in middle school and high school how to design and build their own boards. Beau talks about teaching hands-on projects, how he deals with kids making mistakes, and why he thinks studying mechanical engineering allows for so much creativity.
Mentioned in this episode:
• Open Source Skateboards website: http://www.opensourceboards.com/
• Open Source Skateboards on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/opensourceskateboards
• Open Source Skateboards on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/opensourceboards/
• Fab Lab San Diego: http://www.fablabsd.org/
Mentioned in the post-show notes:
• Voting open soon for SXSW proposals: http://panelpicker.sxsw.edu
• Check out this month’s drone contest to win free passes to the InterDrone conference this fall (*Only covers registration, though, so you still have to find travel/lodging. Also you must be 16+ years old to go to InterDrone). Submit entries before August 1, 2017.
• Drone Photo Contest rules and submission from Electronics Valley: https://lovendrone17.pgtb.me/X7rqJK
• Drone Raffle for podcast listeners: Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Drone Raffle”
• InterDrone conference info: http://www.interdrone.com/
Our closing music is from "Late for School" by Bleeptor, used under a Creative Commons Attribution License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0. Subscribe and find more podcast information at: http://www.k12engineering.net. The K12 Engineering Education Podcast is a production of Pios Labs: http://www.pioslabs.com. Help Pios Labs continue! You can donate at: https://www.patreon.com/pioslabs
Also check out these projects from Pios Labs:
• Engineering Word Of The Day (EWOTD) podcast: http://engineeringwordoftheday.com
• Guidebook “Engineer’s Guide to Improv and Art Games” by Pius Wong, on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other retailers: http://www.pioslabs.com/improv4design.html