Given that social media has been blamed for rising levels of anxiety, depression, loneliness, and political polarization, is it possible to use this technology wisely? That’s the question we dive into today with Randy Fernando, who is featured in a new Netflix documentary called The Social Dilemma, which is all about the many alleged pernicious impacts of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, et al. Randy is the co-founder and Executive Director of the Center for Humane Technology, and a longtime meditator. We start by talking about what he sees as the dangers of social media, but then get into a fascinating discussion, where he ticks off a ton of techniques -- informed by his knowledge of Buddhism -- to use social media that won’t cause you to lose your mind.
Where to find Randy Fernando online:
Other Resources Mentioned:
• Center for Humane Technology - https://www.humanetech.com/
• The Ledger of Harms: The Facts about Social Media's Harms - https://ledger.humanetech.com/
• AllSides - https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news
• Your Undivided Attention Podcast - https://www.humanetech.com/podcast
• Tips for Taking Control of Your Tech - https://www.humanetech.com/take-control
• Resources for Families & Educators - https://www.humanetech.com/families-educators
• Ten Percent Happier Live: https://tenpercent.com/live
• Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
• Free App access for Frontline Workers: https://tenpercent.com/care
Full Shownotes: https://www.tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/randy-fernando-296
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase