Self reflection. Emotional care. Therapy. And...tarot? Hell yeah. The woman behind a wildly popular daily tarot reading on Twitter, Jessica Dore, shows us how mysticism and science can meet—and bring us all opportunities for healing and self-discovery.
Jessica is a writer and graduate student of social work who reads tarot as a tool for therapeutic healing. Through her spiritual side hustle, she gathers a weekly tarot circle, leads workshops, and helps thousands of people access feelings, thoughts, and life questions to better understand themselves.
> The cards have a unique way of cutting right to the core of things with people. I’ll have people often tell me, “wow, this is worth ten sessions of therapy.” And that’s anecdotal, that’s not to say that tarot reading is a replacement for therapy at all. But people will say that they can just get right to the heart of things.
> —Jessica Dore, writer and healer
We talk about:
- Jessica’s path from working in self-help book publishing to tarot reader to social work grad student
- How her daily Twitter card pull gained her a huge following, and helps people connect with her—and themselves
- How tarot can help us access deeper feelings—and feel less alone
- Why it’s important to feel mentally and emotionally prepared when you’re helping people get in touch with themselves
- How to get started with tarot!
- Sara and Katel have an overdue friend date
- We check in with each other using an empirical rating system, and it's super helpful—for real!
- Fuck yeah to great roles for women and more diversity of women on screen in some of our favorite shows right now