Earlier this year, the Supreme Court said the language of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits sex discrimination, applied to discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, thus protecting the employment rights of all LGBTQ+ professionals.
Like many LGBTQ+ professionals, I too had my job threatened because I am gay. It’s a horrible feeling and one which I hope no one ever experiences again.
Melissa DaSilva is a licensed and independent clinical social worker, therapist, author, and founder of East Coast Mental Wellness in Providence, RI, where LGTBQ+ professionals find safe and specialized therapeutic services.
Melissa and John get on the mic to discuss:
• This landmark Supreme Court ruling and what it means for LGBTQ+ professionals and companies to protect the rights of every employee regardless of their sexual orientation and gender identity
• Awareness and support for transgender individuals in the workplace
• Why using pronouns is essential to providing safe spaces for everyone
• What does “non-binary” mean
• Doing your homework to best support LGBTQ+ employees
You can contact John with your career story & more at https://johnneral.com/contact or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow him on LinkedIn @JohnNeral, Twitter @john_neral & Instagram and Facebook @johnneralcoaching.
Follow Melissa on Instagram @realmelissadasilva and contact her via her website: https://melissadasilva.com. Also, check out Melissa’s Podcasts: Pride Connections, Chit Chat with a Therapist, and Chit Chat with a Queer Coach.
This episode is sponsored by
· Anchor: The easiest way to make a podcast. https://anchor.fm/app
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase