Purple Radio's Gabriel Radus and Alex Orton moderate a Q&A session with Donna Carr and Adelle Fairclough, Careers Advisors at Durham University, and Ellen Clarke, Durham alumnus and Learning and Development Advisor at Insight Investment. The trio field a number of questions sent in by Durham Uni students. The questions and timings are below!
For more information, hit the link below to the Careers Department's Covid-19 FAQs page: https://www.dur.ac.uk/careers/covid19faqs/
1. In terms of both speculative applications and formal internship opportunities, do I have a better chance of applying to smaller or larger firms/companies this summer? (06(mins):46(secs))
2. Will employers be more forgiving about lack of experience if that lack of experience is due to Covid? (12:43)
3. Should I dedicate more energy to speculative applications or online courses? (18:14)
a) Online courses: best places to look?
b) Is it worth paying for courses, since many seem to charge extortionate prices? (20:20)
4. If wishing to ‘grow a network’, what is the best way to start conversations and where should we be looking? (24:00)
5. Do you have any tips for approaching a virtual interview? (32:02) How do you deal with serious adverse interview environments at home? (37:08)
6. What are the pros and cons of declaring your ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation in an application? When do you have to declare it and why? (42:50)
7. I’ve realised I want to do something completely different to my degree- should I retrain, study again, or get an apprenticeship? (50:27)
8. Pros and cons of differing a year- Should you take a year out to do your own thing or do a ‘panic masters’; which looks better to an employer? (56:19)
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase