Warning: this episode contains mature content and topics that may be distressing for some viewers.
In this episode, we talk to Elizabeth Lee MLA, Member for Kurrajong in the ACT and Leader of the Opposition, about engaging the Australian voters in the political discourse.
Topics covered include:
- Reflections on a bittersweet rise to Leader of the Opposition
- The importance of diversity in politics and in leadership positions throughout other aspects of life
- The difference between being political and being party political
- How to regroup and refocus after an election loss
- The balancing act between being a local member and Leader of the Opposition
- Managing relationships with federal politicians
- Putting Canberra on the map
- The housing affordability crisis
- The role of a robust opposition
- Tackling the issue of the Parliamentary Boys’ Club
- The reason some women do not feel comfortable speaking up about sexual assault
- How to engage men in the gender equality conversation
- Tips on addressing conflict, especially in political discussions
About Ms Lee:
Elizabeth Lee is the Leader of the Canberra Liberals, and the Liberal Member for Kurrajong in the ACT Legislative Assembly.
Prior to entering the ACT Legislative Assembly, Elizabeth was a successful lawyer and lecturer at the Australian National University and University of Canberra.
Since her election to the Assembly in 2016, Elizabeth has been a leading voice for improving local schools, protecting our environment, better support for Canberrans living with a disability, and Canberrans from a culturally and linguistically diverse background.
Having migrated to Australia from Korea at the age of seven, Elizabeth moved to Canberra when she turned 18 to study Law and Asian Studies at The Australian National University.
Elizabeth is passionate about creating a more connected capital; and empowering every Canberran to reach their potential.
Elizabeth lives in the inner south with her partner, and young daughter.
Outside of politics, Elizabeth is passionate about fitness having taught Sh’Bam and Body Balance classes at various gyms around Canberra.
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase