Steven Zampanti, the leader of our PBC chapter in Minneapolis, chats with Kaiser Kuo, the founder and co-host of the Sinica podcast from SupChina. We featured two episodes of Sinica on the podcast listening list on Understanding China: “The China Questions, with Jennifer Rudolph and Michael Szonyi” and “Howard French on how China’s past shapes its present ambitions.”
Some of the things they talked about:
- UNDERSTANDING CHINA podcast listening list
- Podcasts within the SupChina network: Sinica, The Caixin-Sinica Business Brief, ChinaEconTalk, NüVoices, TechBuzz China by Pandaily, Middle Earth
- Sinica interviews about the situation in Xinjiang: interview with Gerry Shih, interview with Nury Turkel
- Live show in New York City that featured Charlene Barshefsky, who negotiated China’s entry into the WTO
- 3-part series with Chas W Freeman, Jr: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Kaiser notes a New York Times article that highlighted a Mandarin podcast by Amy Qin, “In China, a Podcast Inspired by ‘This American Life’ Gives Voice to the Real”
- Kaiser’s podcast recommendations:
- Hi-Phi Nation (from Slate): a show about philosophy that turns stories into ideas
- Context with Brad Harris: a show that takes books that aims to answer big questions and distills it down in a captivating and accessible way.
Connect with Kaiser Kuo: email, Kaiser on Twitter, SupChina on Twitter
Get involved in the podcast discussion! Find out how Podcast Brunch Club works.
Audio editing and production by Steven Zampanti of Conceptual Podcasting. Music included in this episode was ”Elephant Walk” by Podington Bear and “Paradise” by Misael Gauna.
Organizational Partners include:
- Podchaser – “the IMDb of podcasts”
- Audioboom – originals that are funny, inspiring, entertaining and thought-provoking
- Listen Notes – “the best podcast search engine”
- Podbean – use the code “pbc” for one month free on podcast hosting
- The Venn - a weekly list of handpicked, unbiased political podcasts
- Critical Frequency – “a podcast network for everyone else”
Support Podcast Brunch Club