"How to make a will
Don't have a will yet, or need to update a previous will? You can get one drafted by someone with experience, such as a lawyer or trustee company. A will must also be signed and witnessed. If the proper procedures are not followed, a will may not be valid.
Wills don’t have to be pricey. Some lawyers will even write one for free, so there’s no harm asking around.
Online platforms such as Public Trust and LawHawk also offer low-cost options for wills and enduring powers of attorney. You can also find planning help at Te Hokinga a Wairua.
Top 5 tips for wills
1. When you get married, the will you wrote before marriage is no longer valid.
2. If you die without a will, all your assets do not automatically go to your partner.
3. If you die without a will, the government will use a formula to divide up your assets.
4. The last will you signed – even if it’s out of date – will be the one used if you die.
5. Wills are not just about what you leave to people – they can also identify the person you want to look after our children.
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase