UPDATE (March 9, 2020): Here is the most comprhensive list of how to help or get help after the tornado in Nashville march 3rd that we have found: https://wpln.org/post/want-to-help-after-nashville-tornado-need-help-heres-where-to-turn-this-weekend/ ----------------------------------------------------------
Nashville is our home and our home has been wrecked. In the early morning hours of March 3rd and massive tornado tore through Middle Tennessee killing at least 24 people and destroying many houses and businesses.
Below is a list of ways to volunteer and donate for those affected. Some people are good at responding right away. Others are good at the slow recovery work that may take months or years. There are those who can wield a chainsaw, others who bake cookies like its their second nature. Some are great emotional support for those traumatized, some have money to give and do so generously. Rather than be paralyzed by the overwhelmingness of this situation we commend you to do something whatever that may look like for you even if it's not present on this list.
- Hands On Nashville They have a page where you can sign up to volunteer to physically help. At the publishing of this article they are at capacity but have a place to sign-up in the future to be notified for future opportunities.
- The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee They give grants to nonprofits who are doing meaningful recovery work both immediately and long term to help with their efforts.
- Gideon’s Army North Nashville was hit very hard and is not as represented in the news as other locations like East Nashville. Gideon's Army is collecting donations and organizing volunteer efforts on the ground in that community.
- Go Fund Me The crowdfunding platform has a list of verified Middle Tennessee tornado related campaigns.
- The Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition has an assistance line for immigrants and refugees who may need help: 615-414-1030. La Coalición de Derechos de Inmigrantes y Refugiados de Tennessee tiene una línea de asistencia para inmigrantes y refugiados que pueden necesitar ayuda: 615-414-1030.
- My Friend Meribah On a personal note a reporter and friend (of Jakob's) from Nashville Public Radio and her family had their roof ripped off. She has a small child and could use your support.
- Middle Tennessee Tornadoes: Where to Volunteer The Nashville For a more thorough and updated list of ways to help visit this article from the Nashville Scene.
photo: Nikolas Noonan