If you're a leader, and you have people that you must lead, manage, care for and grow, it's been a challenge to both keep people in your workplace, to keep them engaged, to understand what their needs are, and to ensure their success in their jobs so that the company can remain competitive and continue to grow in the future in a vastly changing world of work.
As you're doing your goal setting and goal planning for the next year, I want to share with you 10 questions that you should be taking into your discussions, even if they're not formal performance review discussions.
Three Reasons Employees Are Leaving Their Jobs / Searching for New Opportunities:
10 Questions Leaders Should Be Asking to Prevent Your Best Employees from Leaving
To Discover Skills to Focus on or Develop / Areas to Eliminate or Support
1. What are 3 aspects of your job that you feel you’re best at or enjoy the most?
2. What are 2 areas in your job where you could use more support or resources, or would prefer not to do?
3. Outside of work, what do you really enjoy doing? Do you have a hobby or a passion project that you work on that gives you joy
Learning and Development / Career Growth
4. Is there something that you would like to have an opportunity to learn or explore, that either isn’t a part of your current job, or is something you’d like to try?
5. Are there skills that you would like to learn, or career opportunities that you would like to explore that you don’t feel are available to you in your current role, or at this company?
Flexibility / Work Hours
6. Does the current schedule or work situation allow you to do your best work, while also enjoying your life away from work?
Understand How Someone Likes to Be Managed
7. How do you like to be recognized and appreciated? What is meaningful to you?
8. How often would you prefer to meet to discuss and share progress against your goals?
Support Their Progress and Ensure Success
9. What is one thing that I can do to set you up for success in 2023, that I’m not doing currently?
The Magic Question
10. If I gave you a magic wand, and you could change one thing about your current job, or about the company – what would you change?
Subscribe and Review
We’d appreciate you subscribing to this podcast and leaving an Apple Podcasts review. Reviews help others discover and learn what Impact Makers is all about. It only takes a second and helps us out a lot!
People & Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
Meta from Workplace: https://www.workplace.com/
Connect with Jennifer:
Send her a message: https://jennifermcclure.net/contact
On LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jennifermcclure
On Twitter https://twitter.com/JenniferMcClure
On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jennifer_mcclure/
On Facebook http://www.facebook.com/JenniferMcClureSpeaker
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Emerald City Productions. They helped me grow and produce the podcast you are listening to right now. Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com. Let them know I sent you.
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase