In this episode, our host Jennifer McClure talks about the importance of developing key relationships when trying to maximize your impact in our world. Digital communication has made it easier to connect with people across the globe but nothing replaces intentional connections and a deep commitment to reciprocity. Jennifer shares her strategy for building relationships and relays some stories about a few amazing people that she has connected with.
- Jennifer identifies 3 types of people that you should focus on building relationships with. Whether they are in your community, industry or desired area of impact, these intentional relationships will be above and beyond the most enriching, compared to quick-and-easy connections found online.
- Focus on the long-term! Jennifer stresses the intentional and strategic elements of relationship building and what they mean for your network and business down the road.
- Keep an eye out for potential mentors, skip the coffee date, and be prepared to make an investment! Many of these people are farther along in their journey and are working to deliver value to hundreds, if not thousands (or even millions) of people. Take advantage of services such as coaching and courses to get right to the heart of what they are offering. Jennifer relays her experience with leadership mentor Michael Hyatt and how joining his community enabled her to connect with well-known high achievers. She also talks about her relationships with online marketing expert Amy Porterfield and professional speaker Ryan Estis as other examples.
- Who do you know already? Stepping back and taking stock of your existing networks, communities and even competitors, can uncover new opportunities for building more intentional and valuable relationships. Jennifer talks about a few people in her network like Laurie Ruettimann, Steve Browne, Kris Dunn, and Cy Wakeman.
- Who can you grow, refer, and champion? Jennifer stresses the importance of staying on the lookout for people to bring up, particularly those from diverse backgrounds who don’t have access to the same resources or opportunities as yourself. She also offers some examples of people she has encouraged and learned from such as Mary Faulkner and Michael Sipple Jr.
- Who is above you, who do you know, and who can you grow? Jennifer summarizes the 3 types of people to build relationships with in order to maximize impact between everyone involved.
Jane Atkinson /Speaker Launcher
Mary Faulkner / Surviving Leadership
Mike Sipple, Jr. / Centennial, Inc.
Talent Magnet Institute podcast
Impact Makers podcast episode 2 with Laurie Ruettiman
Impact Makers podcast episode 3 with Steve Browne
Impact Makers podcast episode 9 with Kary Oberbrunner
Books (affiliate links):
Platform: Get Noticed In A Noisy World by Michael Hyatt
Living Forward: A Proven Plan To Stop Drifting And Get The Life You Want by Michael Hyatt
Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan For Achieving Your Most Important Goals by Michael Hyatt
HR On Purpose: Developing Deliberate People Passion by Steve Browne
Give us a hand getting the word out!
Do you want to spend your personal and professional time making a lasting impact on others? Do you want to be the kind of leader people love? Subscribe today and we will bring you new ways to change the world every single week.