In Episode #13 Kayvon and Dai talk about empathy. Listen in to hear about putting yourself in someone else’s shoes, how empathy is a skill like any other, and what you can do to develop it.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
● 00:40 – Introduction
● 01:43 – “Empathy is the most under-utilized human emotion”
● 02:15 – Empathy is both an emotion and a skill
● 03:22 – Dealing with your own challenges lets you get closer to how other people are feeling
● 04:20 – Kayvon had English as a second language - so he knows the definition of ‘empathy’ and ‘sympathy’
● 05:25 – Sympathy is acknowledging others’ emotions - empathy is understanding them
● 06:30 – People are very quick to judge
● 07:50 – How do you go about teaching yourself empathy?
● 09:00 – Life experience helps to produce empathy
● 11:30 – Sometimes there is too much of an experience gap to empathize
● 15:00 – Bedside manner - how do doctors manage empathy?
● 17:20 – Patients are helped by a doctor’s empathy
● 19:15 – Parents want nothing more than to make their kids’ sadness go away
● 20:15 – Empathy is a skill that we need to practice
● 21:02 – Try to put yourself in someone else’s shoes before the next episode
● 21:30 – Tell us how it goes! We’d love to hear back from you.
3 Key Points:
1. Empathy isn’t practiced enough - people are often quick to judge
2. To practice empathy, turn to your own experiences. When have you felt something similar?
3. Honest connections rely on empathy--- Send in a voice message: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/happinesssimplified/message
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase