* Beastmasters in Depth
* Josh often uses them as pre-mades in his demo games!
* A “pet class” that can revolve around animal companions.
* Potential for added complexity and breaking the action economy.
* Inspired at least in part by the eponymous Beastmaster, Dar from film and TV.
* Animal companions are independent characters. While the player may roll dice and generally guide their actions, the GM should have veto authority.
* Object lesson in animal companion problems: Josh’s wife got a dyre!
* Karma Ritual and Important Attributes
* Both urban and wilderness, but still trend “feral”.
* No free talent, higher Durability.
* Novice Discipline talents.
* Unarmed Combat and Claw Shape is their combat style.
* Reason for the +3 bonus to Claw Shape.
* The awkward status of Dominate Beast.
* A character’s Discipline should inform the Narrative expression of their talents.
* Novice talent options.
* The weaknesses of animal companions in earlier editions.
* There is lots of conceptual space for the Beastmaster.
* Pet talents are options to avoid forcing people to take pets if they don’t want.
* Lots of unique and flavorful options, possible to swap Discipline talents for options.
* Enhance Animal Companion as a way of addressing previously mentioned weaknesses.
* Sidebar: Not everything is about animal companion combat prowess!
* Journeyman special ability: Cat’s Grace
* Journeyman Discipline Talents
* Animal Talk is a Journeyman talent?
* Claw Frenzy buzzsaw of death.
* Journeyman talent options.
* More pet talents as options.
* Beastmasters have higher Charisma, but aren’t really a social Discipline; they lack talents to support it.
* Animals don’t deal with artifice, white lies, and social lubrication.
* Beastmasters often take after animals and are blunt and forthright.
* Special and iconic in the world of Earthdawn.
* Decent fighters, but lack as many combat support talents as Warriors or Swordmaster.
* GM advice: Beastmasters often don’t need magic weapons, but armor and defensive items are valued.
* GM advice: Think of ways to leverage animals and the information that can provide to put the spotlight on the Beastmaster.
* GM advice: Reskin the stat block for one animal to make others.
* Cave crabs are NOT suitable animal companions.
Josh on Twitter: @mataxes
Get product information, developer blogs, and more at www.fasagames.com
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase