Which is better, urban splendour or bucolic majesty? Our guest this week, Mikey Lear, provides a passionate defence of country living in the face of sniping from our very own metropolitan elite.
This podcast looks at the data relating to a range of outcomes for urban versus rural populations, considers why people move to the city and tries to methodically measure the relative benefits. It also examines the different characteristics of those living in both environments.
A few things we mentioned in this podcast:
- Tony Champion on commuting patterns https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/02697450902827329
- Rural v urban health https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/834244/Health_September_2019.pdf
- Rural v urban economy https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/rural-economic-activity
- Are cities good or bad for the environment? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49639003
- Are cities back? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44482291
- Urban and rural population in the UK https://www.statista.com/statistics/984702/urban-and-rural-population-of-the-uk/
- Urban and rural personality evidence https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-13/what-your-personality-has-to-do-with-your-neighborhood
- British attitudes to cities https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20200203115843tf_/https://ahrc.ukri.org/newsevents/news/new-research-reveals-british-attitudes-to-cities/
Image: Zerpixelt via Pixabay
Are you the creator of this podcast?
and pick the featured episodes for your show.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase