DEFINITION: Partners with the client to create a safe, supportive environment that allows the
client to share freely. Maintains a relationship of mutual respect and trust.
- Seeks to understand the client within their context which may include their identity, environment, experiences, values and beliefs
- Demonstrates respect for the client’s identity, perceptions, style and language and adapts one's coaching to the client
- Acknowledges and respects the client's unique talents, insights and work in the coaching process
- Shows support, empathy and concern for the client
- Acknowledges and supports the client’s expression of feelings, perceptions, concerns, beliefs and suggestions
- Demonstrates openness and transparency as a way to display vulnerability and build trust with the client
WATCH: Osama Al-Mosa, MCC
READ: ICF Core Competency 4: Cultivates Trust and Safety
- The focus is more on safety -- psychological safety
- The relationship doesn’t have a negative impact on self-image, no judgment, risk free. Psychological safety.
- Trust: the coach is going to do things in my best interest.
- Ultimate atmosphere for the client, allows going inward.
- Coach becomes a partner - What is a partner?
- Coach “doesn’t have a stake in the game” – is this true?
- Demonstrated well, you can understand the client in their own context
- What ways do you earn trust with your clients?
- How do you build psychological safety?
- What tips do you have for doing this?
- Have you ever had to re-establish safety and trust? If so, how?
- How is this a core piece of coaching?
- The tension between curiosity vs. questioning to make a point
- What ways do you stay curious? (unbiased)
- How do you avoid consulting and advising with clients?
- How do you move clients away from “ticking the box”?
- Psychological Safety - Amy Edmondson
Rachel Botsman - Trust & Rethink Moments Podcast
- Do your own work! Learn & get perspective on your own identity and others
Do you have a 90s 1-hit-wonder playlist we should listen to? Share that and how you are earning trust with your coaching clients.
Music credit: The song reCreation by airtone has been remixed under a CC-BY license.