Matt & Niki and your lifting and life questions.
Topics include coaching certifications oriented to coaching females, shoulder pain from presses & squats, adductor tears during squats, office strength groups, and power clean rack position.
0:00 Introduction & BLOC Party Overview 8:16
Programming During Weight Cuts
- Gained a bunch of weight during LP, having a USSF meet coming up: still want to hit big numbers, but want to lean down
- Performance doesn't have to suffer very much with small weight cut if done intelligently
- Top set with volumes can really be a nice combination of hitting enough volume and still hitting the intensity
- Lots of volume can help maintain muscle mass
- Drive up that top set as much as possible
Certification to Coach Females?
- Do you need to get a certification for coaching females? No
- Need to improve your coaching, in general
- Need to relate to your clients
- Permission to coach mindset: more variation within group than between
- 5x3 works well for lots of people with a deficiency of upper body muscle mass
- play with squat grip: probably bring it in
- guess at what it is: proximal bicep tendinopathy
- if it persists, put squat at the end of the workout (as squat tends to make rest of workout worse)
- be very specific in where things hurt
- do more sets of lower reps with slower, perfect form
- lower the weight, slow down the lift
- keep pain below a 3 and look for it to reduce over time
- incline dumbbell press?
- work to get the intensity back up
- can also play around with frequency
Adductor Pain during Squats
- Where is the pain presenting itself? (middle or end of muscle)
- Is it at the tendon or in the muscle belly
- Did you bruise?
- Play with stance angle and ensure form is on point
Strength Office Activities
- Start a strength training for running & cycling groups, but it's really just strength
- Help coach 1/3 sessions they lift
- Cycling Power Development
Power Clean Rack Position
- wrist mobility or strength?
- have to think about strength & mobility and what they really are, first
Most Impactful Non-Strength Books
- Matt: Lonesome Dove, The Hard Thing About Hard Things, Measure What Matters, The Bible
- Andrew: Endurance, Man's Search For Meaning
- Niki: Deep Work, Sparking Joy, Into Thin Air, Bone Clocks
GET STARTED with one-on-one online coaching FOR FREE!
Get your FIRST MONTH FREE on all strength and nutrition coaching plans. No discount code needed and includes a 10-day, no obligation trial. https://bit.ly/2MKeOoh
Special offers from BLOC and our partners: https://barbell-logic.com/offers/
Connect with the hosts
Connect with the show