Dhimant Vyas is a veteran Animation Film Designer, worked as a creative director at Zynga games India. An alumnus of the National Institute of Design (NID). His work for Taare Zameen Par, Happy Planet, Cute Bunny, Y-snore, MTV promos and his photography have won him several national and international awards. He has a vast experience in creating animation using various techniques like Stop Motion, 2D Classical, Cut Out, Material, Sand, Pixilation and Flash. Today we are here to discuss about one of the aspects of his work, which is Stop motion animation.
1. What is stop motion animation for a layman? Can you give some examples of your work?
2. On a stop-motion film, how is the decision typically made whether to do effects practically on set or in camera, versus doing it later in post-production?
3. Is there any particular shot you’ve worked on that stands out, in terms of capturing the magic of stop-motion with brilliant effects work?
4. How much knowledge about camera and lighting is required to become a stop-motion animation expert?
5. What are your thoughts on the future potential of stop-motion as an art form?