It’s an Earth Day extravaganza! Earth Day Co-Founder Denis Hayes and climate change icon Bill McKibben visit America Adapts. This episode is coming out on the same day that President Trump rescinded the climate change rules established under President Obama. Take action by listening to Bill and Denis share their experiences, as they offer advice on what to do next.
Donate to America Adapts (We are now a tax deductible charitable organization!)
Subscribe/listen to podcast on Apple Podcasts.Now on Spotify! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/america-adapts-climate-change/id1133023095?mt=2 Listen here. On Google Play here. Please share on Facebook! On Twitter: @usaadapts
Denis Hayes, Co-Founder of the original Earth Day and CEO of the Bullitt Foundation
- HISTORY OF EARTH DAY – Denis describes the original Earth Day in 1970 and the political environment at the time. Denis describes the bi-partisan nature of environmental issues before President Nixon executed his southern strategy, which further split the parties.
- ENTER CLIMATE CHANGE - Doug and Denis discuss the unique challenges of climate change and how it might have been dealt with on the original Earth Day. Denis explains how climate change was not yet an issue at the first Earth Day, but then through the 70s, a consensus developed among scientists that it was a growing problem.
- FROM CARTER TO REAGAN - Denis describes working for President Carter running the Federal Solar Research Institute. Denis describes how science and facts were not as controversial as they are today. Denis describes an ambitious effort to reform the energy sector that was ultimately scrapped when Reagan came to power.
- EARTH DAY 2020 – Denis and Doug talk about the upcoming 50 year anniversary of Earth Day.
- THE EMERALD CORRIDOR – Denis talks about his work at the Bullitt Foundation, which seeks to create a sustainable urban corridor in the Pacific Northwest. Doug and Denis discuss adaptation and challenges of planned retreat.
In the second segment, I talk with climate change legend, Bill McKibben, founder of 350.org.
- BILL MAHER AND CLIMATE CHANGE – Bill discusses his recent appearance on HBO’s Bill Maher show and how these unique opportunities create opportunities to reach a large number of people (and Bill was quite funny on the show).
- PRESIDENT COAL – Bill discusses what the election of Donald Trump means for progress on climate change. Bill doesn’t spin the situation: his administration is a pretty devastating development.
- BIPARTISAN SOLAR – Bill describes the opportunity for legislative agreement through solar power, which polls extremely well in both parties.
- ADAPTATION AT 350 – Doug and Bill talk adaptation and if it takes away from society needing to focus on carbon mitigation. Bill says, ““Adapt to that you can’t prevent...but prevent at all cost, that, which you can’t adapt to.’”
- THE CLIMATE MARCHES ON - Bill discusses the upcoming climate change march on April 29th in locations around the world. We talk about how climate march compliments the science march.
- YOU AND CLIMATE CHANGE - Bill gives advice on what an individual can do to affect change and how collective action will be the only effective response. .
Links in episode:
http://www.billmckibben.com/ http://www.bullitt.org/about/staff/ Bill McKibben on the Bill Maher Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V69l7zbFeAk https://350.org/
Twitter: @billmckibben @350
Coming up next week on America Adapts, Judge Alice Hill, of the Hoover Institution. Subscribe now to get this in your podcast inbox!
America Adapts also has its own app for your listening pleasure! Just visit the App store on Apple or Google Play on Android and search “America Adapts.”
Finally, yes, most of your favorite podcasts are supported by listeners just like you! Please consider supporting this podcast by donating through America Adapt's fiscal sponsor, the Social Good Fund. All donations are now tax deductible!
For more information on this podcast, visit the website at http://www.americaadapts.org and don't forget to subscribe to this podcast on Itunes.
America Adapts on Facebook! Join the America Adapts Facebook Community Group. Check us out, we’re also on YouTube! Subscribe to America Adapts on Itunes Doug can be contacted at americaadapts @ g mail . com .