The "dynamic duo" behind the amazing Oh The Urbanity! Channel is none other than Jasmine and Patrick and I am delighted and honored to feature them as guests on this episode, number 135, for those keeping track.
We talk about how they came to start the channel, how their many moves have shaped their narratives, and what drives them to do this work, which by the way is outside of their "normal" day jobs. Topics covered include protected bike lanes, separated cycle paths and multi-use paths, winter cycling, as well as housing availability, and affordability. The main cities covered include Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa.
Helpful Links (note that some may include affiliate links to help me support the channel):
- Oh The Urbanity! Channel
- Oh the Urbanity! on Twitter
- Oh The Urbanity! on Patreon
- RM Transit
- Paige Saunders
- My interview with Pekka Tahkola
- Pekka's Channel
- My Episode w/ Don Shoup
- Donald Shoup books:
- The High Cost of Free Parking book
- Parking and The City
- My Riding from the Airport vid
Four Easy Steps to Support My Efforts:
1. Become an Active Towns Ambassador by pledging as little as $1 per month on Patreon
(As a thank you will have early and commercial-free access as well as bonus content and special discounts in the Active Towns Store)
2. If you enjoyed this episode please give it a "thumbs up", leave a comment, and share it with a friend.
3. Subscribe to the podcast on your preferred platform and on the Active Towns YouTube Channel
4. Pick up some Active Towns #StreetsAreForPeople Merch at my store
(note: See no. 1 for access to special discounts in the store)
All video and audio production by John Simmerman
- Intro and Outro mixed by John Simmerman
- Main MIcrophone Sennheiser Pro Audio MKH416-P48U3
- Rode RODECaster Pro Podcast Production Studio
- Additional Microphone - Shure MV7
- Camera - Sony ZV-E10 (currently sold out)
- Lens - Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens
- Elgato Cam Link 4k
- Elgato Streamdeck XL*
- Elgato Streamdeck (*you may not need the XL)
All video, audio, and music production by me, John Simmerman
Hi Everyone, my name is John Simmerman.
I’m a health promotion professional with over 30 years of experience and my area of concentration has evolved into a specialization of how the built environment influences human behavior related to active living and especially active mobility.
In 2012 I launched the non-profit Advocates for Healthy Communities as an effort to help promote and create healthy, active places.
Since that time I've been exploring, documenting, and profiling established, emerging, and aspiring Active Towns wherever they might be, in order to produce high-quality multimedia content to help inspire the creation of more safe and inviting, environments that promote a "Culture of Activity" for "All Ages & Abilities".
My Active Towns suite of channels feature my original video and audio content and reflections, including a selection of podcast episodes and short films profiling the positive and inspiring efforts happening around the world as I am able to experience and document them.
Thanks for tuning in, I hope you find this content helpful.
Creative Commons License: Attributions, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives, 2022
Advocates for Healthy Communities, Inc. is a nonprofit 501c3 organization (EIN 45-3802508) dedicated to helping communities create a Culture of Activity. Any donations collected are used specifically to support the organization's mission.
To make a donation to Advocates for Healthy Communities go here
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase