There's an abiding myth that the landmark dictionaries are the work of one man, in a dusty paper-filled garrett tirelessly working away singlehandedly. But really it took a village: behind every Big Daddy of Lexicography was usually a team of women, keeping the garrett clean, organising the piles of papers, reading through all the citations, doing research, writing definitions, editing, subediting...essentially being lexicographers, without the credit or the pay. Academic Lindsay Rose Russell, author of Women and Dictionary-Making, talks about the roles of women in lexicography: enabling male lexicographers to get the job done, but also making their own dictionaries, and challenging the very paradigms of dictionaries.
Find out more about this episode and the topics therein, and obtain the transcript, at theallusionist.org/cairns.
Become a member of the Allusioverse at theallusionist.org/donate and as well as keeping this independent podcast going, you get regular livestreams and watchalong parties - AND to hang out with your fellow Allusionauts in our delightful Discord community.
Our ad partner is Multitude. If you want me to talk lovingly and winningly about your product or thing, sponsor an episode: contact Multitude at multitude.productions/ads. This episode is sponsored by:
• Blueland, refillable home cleaning products eliminating single-use plastics. Get 15% off your first order by going to blueland.com/allusionist.
• Kitsch, who make products to care for your hair and skin - shampoo and conditioner bars, soaps, sleep masks, heatless rollers, satin hoodies and bonnets and pillowcases... Get a whopping 30% off your entire order at MyKitsch.com/allusionist.
• Squarespace, your one-stop shop for building and running your online empire. Go to squarespace.com/allusionist for a free 2-week trial, and get 10 percent off your first purchase of a website or domain with the code allusionist.
• HelloFresh, America’s number 1 meal kit - pre-portioned farm-fresh ingredients and seasonal recipes delivered right to your door. Go to HelloFresh.com/50allusionist and use the code 50allusionist for 50% off plus 15% off the next 2 months.
• Bombas, whose mission is to make the comfiest clothes ever, and match every item sold with an equal item donated. Go to bombas.com/allusionist to get 20% off your first purchase.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
Connect with listeners
Podcasters use the RadioPublic listener relationship platform to build lasting connections with fansYes, let's begin connecting
Find new listeners
Understand your audience
Engage your fanbase